Once the Herald of Spring for many, the haunting call of curlew is much harder to hear these days. With the local curlew population having declined by 30% in the last ten years, the Curlew Country Project needs your help to save these beautiful birds.
Last year we gained national recognition for our groundbreaking work to save local curlew. This year, Curlew Country continues to:
• Monitor curlew nests to discover why they are failing
• Work with farmers to identify the costs of supporting nesting and foraging curlew in a farm business in order to influence policy makers
• Tag and track curlew to understand curlew behaviour
• Protect nests by predation control including electric fencing
• Train those interested in helping curlew to better understand curlew behaviour
• Work with the volunteer Community Wildlife Group bird surveyors to locate nesting and feeding territories and record adult population numbers
• Raise funds to continue the vital work of the project.
You can help by:
• Reporting local sighting of curlew, and other wader birds such as snipe and lapwing, using our online recording form http://www.stiperstonesandcorndon.co.uk/birdform/ or by contacting Amanda Perkins on 01938 561741.
• Supporting the Curlew Country fund raising Appeal.
• Joining your local Community Wildlife Group to help with surveys and recording – contact Joe Penfold for details 01938 561741.
This summer, we continue to raise awareness about the plight of our local birds with an exciting community arts project titled ‘A Case for Curlews’. A reminiscence project ‘Curlew Conversations’ is also happening to capture local memories of curlew.
There is lots more information about the project, including the awareness raising projects, on our Curlew Country web-page http://www.stiperstonesandcorndon.co.uk/curlewcountry/.
Stephanie Hayes, Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership Promotions Officer
Search the site
- May Newsletter
- Community Library at Pontesbury Spring Plant Sale
- U3A April 2018
- Pontesbury and District Forum Programme for Summer
- Pontesbury Parish Council Report: APM March 2018
- Stiperstones & Corndon Hill Country Landscape Partnership Scheme
- Three ‘Round & About’ Walks: Saturday, 12 May
- Peace March in Shrewsbury
- Volunteers needed: Hanwood day centre
- Marches Choir and Sinfonia Concert
- West Shropshire Flower Club: March 2018
- Pontesbury WI: March 2018
- Women’s World Day of Prayer
- Manor Park
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive