We have been given the opportunity to buy a piece of woodland adjacent to the nature reserve, which we are calling Bergum Wood as it is where Bergum Mine was situated. This is the first time we have run an appeal for donations and is a bit of an experiment, but we are hoping to raise £12,000 which is the cost of buying the land. The woodland at present is conifer plantation, which if we don’t buy it is likely to be felled and replanted with a similar crop, with little benefit to wildlife. We are hoping to fell it and allow native broadleaf woodland to develop. This will link up existing areas of oak woodland along the Stiperstones road, where birds such as pied flycatchers and restarts nest and where dormice can be found.
As the area of Bergum wood is 1.25ha, the maths tell us that £1 buys us 1 square meter of wood.
It is easy to donate to help support our restoration efforts by making a donation on line at www.easydonate.org/NENG001 or Text / SMS donation: To donate £5, text NENG001 to 70970 To donate £10, text NENG001 to 70191.
You can also help by publicising our campaign (see attached poster, or share our Facebook page).
Search the site
- Line Dancing, Desert Crossings and Lotteries
- Spring into the Garden, May 2017
- Letter box reminder
- A Note to Event Organisers
- Pontesbury Parish Council: May 2017
- Keyholder for School
- Pontesbury and District Forum Programme Summer 2017
- Stiperstones National Nature Reserve Woodland Appeal
- Line Dancing
- Tai Chi
- Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Age UK
- Pontesbury WI: April meeting
- Flower Club: May ’17
- Stiperstones and Cornden Hill Country
- Habberley Village Hall Event ‘Gone Cuckoo’
- Notes from the Stiperstones: May 2017
- News from the Library: May 2017
- Bishop’s Castle Round & About Walks
- Planning Committee meeting
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive