The spectacular landscape of the Shropshire Hills is the star of Stan’s Cafe’s performance The Camp happening 21 – 23 July. The Birmingham-based theatre company are setting up camp and spending a continuous 48 hours on two Iron Age sites at Earls Hill, Pontesford, where they are inviting members of the public to join them. We invite you to come with an open mind and a sense of playful adventure to see what they are up to.
Dressed as travellers from a speculative time in the future the company of four actors will be living a minimal life on the hill without current technology and using recycled resources. Depending when they arrive, visitors may be invited to share food or drink in the camp, collect firewood, hold one of the camp’s spectacular signalling flags, join in made-up games to pass the time or simply to sit and talk.
The time travellers are curious about the lives and world of their visitors and are full of questions. In return, they are happy to share stories of their mysterious lost world. All the time, the true star of the show is all around; the views, the sun and moon, clouds, rocks, trees, fresh air and grass under foot.
James Yarker, artistic director of Stan’s Cafe explains, “The Heartland project asked artists to find ways of encouraging visitors to take a fresh look at this spectacular landscape. The Camp is our response. It is an excuse to come and spend some time in an amazing place and to reflect on the lives we currently lead”.
The camp is free to visit. There is also the opportunity to spend a night (Fri or Sat) sleeping out under the stars with the Stan’s Café team – these places are free but limited and must be booked in advance https://www. nationaltrust.org.uk/events/f34da8b8-bab0-4511-b6f4-3bbf1c6ac297/pages/details
Search the site
- Forget Me Not: Comedy Whodunnit
- Community Library at Pontesbury: Off to a great start
- ‘Christmas comes to Pontesbury’
- Landscape Partnership Work Party Dates
- Kindling for Sale
- Pontesbury Parish Council meeting: Ocober 2017
- UK Last Posting Dates for Christmas
- Festive Friends 2017
- U3A News
- Save the Albatross: Christmas Stamp Appeal
- Friends of Pontesford and Earl’s Hill
- Pontesbury WI: October Meeting
- Wildlife on your Doorstep
- Flower Club: September report
- Pontesbury Sports Association “200 Club”: October 2017 draw
- Another Line Dancing update
- Local Groups 2018 Event Dates
- Panto Reading in November
- Notes from the Stiperstones: November 2017
- News from the Library: November 2017
- Library Events
- Back to the Garden
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive