The spectacular landscape of the Shropshire Hills is the star of Stan’s Cafe’s performance The Camp happening 21 – 23 July. The Birmingham-based theatre company are setting up camp and spending a continuous 48 hours on two Iron Age sites at Earls Hill, Pontesford, where they are inviting members of the public to join them. We invite you to come with an open mind and a sense of playful adventure to see what they are up to.
Dressed as travellers from a speculative time in the future the company of four actors will be living a minimal life on the hill without current technology and using recycled resources. Depending when they arrive, visitors may be invited to share food or drink in the camp, collect firewood, hold one of the camp’s spectacular signalling flags, join in made-up games to pass the time or simply to sit and talk.
The time travellers are curious about the lives and world of their visitors and are full of questions. In return, they are happy to share stories of their mysterious lost world. All the time, the true star of the show is all around; the views, the sun and moon, clouds, rocks, trees, fresh air and grass under foot.
James Yarker, artistic director of Stan’s Cafe explains, “The Heartland project asked artists to find ways of encouraging visitors to take a fresh look at this spectacular landscape. The Camp is our response. It is an excuse to come and spend some time in an amazing place and to reflect on the lives we currently lead”.
The camp is free to visit. There is also the opportunity to spend a night (Fri or Sat) sleeping out under the stars with the Stan’s Café team – these places are free but limited and must be booked in advance https://www. nationaltrust.org.uk/events/f34da8b8-bab0-4511-b6f4-3bbf1c6ac297/pages/details
Search the site
- Stiperstones and Cornden Hill Country: December 2017 Newsletter
- Pontesbury Players Panto!
- 1st Rea Valley Beavers, Cubs and Scouts
- Community Library at Pontesbury
- Pontesbury Parish Council Report
- Pontesbury WI 100th Birthday
- U3A report
- Did you lose a camera?
- News from the Library: January 2018
- Pontesbury Sports Association “200 Club”: December
- West Shropshire Flower Club: Christmas Demonstration
- Pontesbury & District Forum: Programme for Spring 2018
- Lea Cross WI: 2018 Programme
- Probus Club 2018 dates
- Help with Lights at Panto
- Winter Wander
- Foodbank Collection Pontesbury Congregational Church
- Set up a Neighbourhood Watch group?
- Festive Friends 2017
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive