At our June meeting we met Di Carrington, part of the Talisker whiskey Atlantic Rowing Challenge. After a long career in teaching outdoor pursuits and nursing, instead of retirement, Di decided to form a team of women rowers.The four-woman team hope to break the Atlantic rowing record in December, while being the oldest team to achieve this. Three ladies are in their fifties and Di herself is in her early sixties. A huge challenge of 3000 miles, continually rowing in two hour shifts, two on two off, aboard their boat ‘Poppy’ enduring all that the Atlantic throws at them for up to sixty days and all while raising money for charities. We will be following their progress and wish the team every success.
As the June meeting is our annual show our WI lunch hostesses laid on a delicious ploughmans lunch for members who also enjoyed the flower, crafts and baking competitions. The next meeting in July will be great fun with Sarah Bright dancing the Charleston and attempting to teach some of us the steps.
Pontesbury WI meet on the second Monday of the month at 2pm (no meeting in August). We have guest speakers on a range of diverse subjects. If you would like to meet our friendly group, guests are always made welcome. Please ring Sue Brookes 01743 790610
Search the site
- Stiperstones and Cornden Hill Country: December 2017 Newsletter
- Pontesbury Players Panto!
- 1st Rea Valley Beavers, Cubs and Scouts
- Community Library at Pontesbury
- Pontesbury Parish Council Report
- Pontesbury WI 100th Birthday
- U3A report
- Did you lose a camera?
- News from the Library: January 2018
- Pontesbury Sports Association “200 Club”: December
- West Shropshire Flower Club: Christmas Demonstration
- Pontesbury & District Forum: Programme for Spring 2018
- Lea Cross WI: 2018 Programme
- Probus Club 2018 dates
- Help with Lights at Panto
- Winter Wander
- Foodbank Collection Pontesbury Congregational Church
- Set up a Neighbourhood Watch group?
- Festive Friends 2017
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive