Some of you will be aware that at the rear of the Congregational church and hall there’s a large enclosed field seldom used other than for young people linked with the village’s uniformed groups and the occasional church B-B-Q. Change is afoot. Plans and funds have been provided to create a community garden with access initially for all who use the premises for their activities, and children’s parties.
The scheme will create a large decked area overlooking the field from the rear of the hall; a concrete area to build B-B-Qs and outdoor cooking facilities; raised beds to grow a variety of produce; a screened reflective garden and a large experimental area to develop gardening skills and ideas; a pathway around the perimeter to enable wheel chair users and others with limited physical abilities; and a large submersible tank to provide sufficient water for the vegetation and water features.
The hope is to create space to educate both young and old in the enjoyment of gardening; to create a space where people can just come and sit, reflect, read, and be at peace; to enable interested groups within our village who would like to create a garden to give pleasure to others, with colour, fragrance and activity; create safe space for youngsters to play and for others to socialise.
A local landscape Trust is very enthusiastic about the project and has offered a financial incentive to start. Initially, we need assistance moving soil and stones, and building the solid platform and raised beds. Our local U3A gardening group is interested in developing part of the floral and garden design aspects, but if you have an interest in gardening and a desire to be involved, please contact Brian Fisher on 792515.
If you know of any charitable or philanthropic trusts who might be willing to financially support the project or who could provide building materials, earth-moving machinery, compost, soil, plants, expertise then please let us know. Many thanks.
Search the site
- Library Events
- Back to the Garden
- Panto Reading
- Pontesbury Players November Show
- Short Mat Bowling
- Stiperstones & Corndon Hill Country Newsletter
- Celebration Event
- New non-urgent, email contact details for local police
- Pontesbury Gardeners’ Association
- Pontesbury Parish Council report: September 2017
- Broadplace’s New Projector
- Communal Garden
- University of the Third Age: Pontesbury and Rea Valley District
- Age UK Parish Links
- Pontesbury Sports Association “200 Club”: September 2017
- Line Dancing update
- Flower Club AGM
- Ray Jones Memorial Golf Day
- Pontesbury WI: September meeting report
- Draft Library Strategy deadline for comments
- News from the Library: October 2017
- Notes from the Stiperstones: October 2017
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive