The very best of luck to three exceptional women – rowers Di Carrington, Sharon Magrath and Elaine Theaker – as they start out on their epic row across the Atlantic in December, spending Christmas on board their £50,000 specially-built boat, named Poppy.
Di, (aged 61) a business owner, hails from Pontesbury and has spent a career teaching outdoor pursuits and working in the NHS. Sharon (54) is a Shropshire midwife and lawyer, Elaine, (54) lives in Abergavenny.
Leaving Tenerife on 12 December, they will be at sea for more than 50 days, rowing almost 3,000 gruelling miles across the Atlantic Ocean to Antigua in the world’s toughest race. If they succeed, they will break three records by being the oldest team to row any ocean, the oldest to row the Atlantic and, when Di turns 62, en route, she will be the oldest team member. Ladies – you are awesome!
The ‘Atlantic Ladies’ are hoping to raise thousands of pounds for their respective charities: Alzheimer’s Society, Motor Neurone Disease and autoimmune disease, Relapsing Polychondritis. If anyone wishes to donate or become a sponsor please visit: www.atlanticladies.co where you will be able to follow their intrepid journey and keep up with their blog.
Wishing Di, Sharon and Elaine a very Happy Christmas at sea, and hoping that you all keep well, strong and in good spirits during your massive journey across the ocean.
Search the site
- Help with Lights at Panto
- Winter Wander
- Foodbank Collection Pontesbury Congregational Church
- Set up a Neighbourhood Watch group?
- Festive Friends 2017
- Parish Council meeting report: November 2017
- Village Quire – ‘Back to the Garden’
- U3A update
- UK Last Posting Dates for Christmas
- FoPL News: Date For Your Diary
- Good Luck to our ‘Atlantic Ladies’
- Baptist Church, Chapel Street
- Pontesbury WI: December 2017
- Taizé Style Worship at St George’s Church
- Stiperstones & Corndon Hill Country Landscape Partnership Scheme Final Evaluation
- West Shropshire Flower Club: December 2017
- Pontesbury Sports Association “200 Club”: November 2017 draw
- Notes from the Stiperstones: December 2017
- News from the Library: December ’17
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive